Pieces runs entirely locally on your machine by default for speed and privacy reasons. Creating an account is completely optional, and you do not need one in order to utilize our core features, such as:
- Saving snippets
- Re-using snippets
- Classifying snippets
- Extracting code from screenshots
But, creating an account allows you to use some of our more exciting features, including:
- Link sharing: Share a snippet with other users using a simple shortened link.
- Pieces plugins, which enable you to easily send snippets between Pieces and your applications.
- Syncing your Pieces data to the cloud. This is entirely an optional setting — Pieces is built to work offline first.
- All data sent to the cloud is encrypted.